This month I changed things up slightly, rather than ordering just one or two expensive parts, I’ve ordered a whole slew of little stuff. One of the main reasons why this bike has taken so long to get done is that when I got the project it was just a frame, power plant, and front wheel/brake. I’ve had to slowly cobble together everything else and because Norton parts aren’t cheap, and I don’t have very much extra money at the end of each month, something that could have been done in a few months has stretched out over a couple of years.
Now, after all this time, I’ve finally assembled pretty much everything that I need to make it work – or at least almost everything I need. I’m still waiting on the wheels that have been sent off to get some spokes, bearings, and tires – that’s been dragging along for sometime now, but until I get the front forks fitted and whatnot it doesn’t really matter. I do however intend to get the forks fitted this week and so will begin to call and press for the wheels with a bit more force – though to be fair if another month passes that’ll be fine because as of this moment I couldn’t pay for them anyway, having spent this month’s extra money already. The goal as it stands is to spend the rest of Feb getting the bike to the point where come March I’ll actually be able to mount the wheels once I have them back.
This month I ordered twenty parts from four separate companies.
From Lowbrow Customs in Ohio:
Pancake Air Filter
Miller STOP tail/brake light
Single pull throttle assembly
Gum rubber grips
Black drag handlebars (no rise, slight pullback)
Two clamp on heat shields for the exhaust pipes
Two 12″ long silencers (mufflers)
Gas cap for the new Enfield fuel tank
From Norvil in England:
2:1 Kit for going to a single Amal Mk1 Carb
TLS brake cable with inline brake light switch
Sealing washer for the fuel tap
Turnsignal kit (for installation on a bike that predates them)
Rear brake light switch (mounted by the pedal/lever)
From Norton Race Parts in England:
Tank Strap & Toggle latch kit
Headstock Steering Bearing Dust Cover
From Burton Bike Bits in England:
Triumph 3T number plate
Here are some pictures of some of those parts:
Miller STOP light & Triumph 3T number plate
I’ve actually already used this combination once before out in Arizona on an Enfield
Here’s a picture of the Norton with the Enfield tank mounted
This is the strap that’ll go down the middle to hold it on:
Here’s an example of a Cafe Racer using the same strap & latch (admittedly more pretty)
and the English made gas cap
The 2:1 kit – manifold, cables, gaskets, and fasteners
Pancake Air Filter – designed to screw on to the intake of the Amal Mk1 Carb
For the exhaust, the 12″ long silencers – each comes with a 7″ bracket
and the heat shields to protect my legs from the high pipes
Gum rubber grips – admittedly a funky color but incredibly soft and comfortable (Made in USA)
Signals, wires, and wiring diagram for tying into the harness that predates them
The combination of all of these parts along with the parts I’ve already collected is going to allow me to take the bike from where it’s been for the last few months and get it to the point where she’s damn near done.
There will be a number of things that’ll still need bought and some stuff still to be made – a combined example of those two would be the dash – I need to buy the really slick 4″ Speedo/Tach unit
and make the plate that’s going to be mounted to the top yoke by the fork top nuts which will hold it as well as a compass, Lucas 88SA switch, a pair of idiot lights, a number of toggle switches, and a kill button – I drew up this diagram which is just a first draft
One of the little details that makes this an obvious wishful thinking first draft is the fact that the center clock is 4″ in diameter and the forks are about 7″ apart on center and if you took this drawing to scale it would be about 12″ wide
There isn’t a need for as many toggles as I drew, in point of fact I’ll only need two toggles:
One that’ll kill the power to all the electrics, because this bike is going to run without a battery, so when I’m kickstarting it all I want it to be trying to start is the engine.
One for the USB port – a way to charge my phone while touring – the other two 12V sockets are just more wishful thinking.
Beyond that its just some oil lines, the strengthening kit for the front brake, spacers for getting the rear wheel aligned, and the belt drive kit that comes with an updated clutch.
So that’s the update, further pictures and developments will follow, I intend to machine the part needed to mount the triple trees today and with luck mount the triple trees today – in the event that I manage one or both I’ll likely update again in the next day or two.